Saturday 13 September 2008

The campaign

It was late in the day, but in August 2008 I started to design a leaflet for distribution around Newham. This was to present the work of Tyndale Tuition and to attract new students. I stayed up until after one in the morning designing and e-mailing my file off to a printer somewhere in Germany, I believe. Six days later, as promised, they arrived at my doorstep. I was beggared. The quality of the print and of the colour was very good indeed.

I knew there must be something good about having 8 children and I saw it at this time. It took two days for us to cut fold and make inserts for 5000 leaflets. I shudder to think how long it would have taken with less. Four of the children plus Pauline and myself did this job. Then we were ready for distribution. We planned to go to a few roads where the houses were big enough for families (okay - houses which looked as if the folk had enough money to afford to pay our fees). It feels strange to attempt to "target" in such a way but there you are. It took us a lot of posting with six of the children participating. The leaflets advertised a meeting to which prospective parents were invited.

One great bonus for me was the help we received from a Christian brother and his son who spent one afternoon helping to deliver. Another was the fact that I was able to listen repeatedly to about 4 lectures on Francis Schaeffer as I walked along with my phone/MP3 player. It was great. On one afternoon I stood near to a market and gave out leaflets (I didn't press them into people's hands - I waited for them to come to me and ask). On two other days I went outside schools and did the same again. All the while I felt so embarassed to be hawking our services in this way. But if that's what it takes...

No comments: