Monday 1 September 2008

Hopes and Dreams

I have been teaching children for 24 years now and there is no work I prefer to this. I love to teach because I have something significant to teach.
I want to become better and better at understanding and teaching that God is the Lord of all of life and that there is glory for him in all of the curriculum. I want to teach children that they are creatures made in the image of God and that this is the only thing that makes them of inestimable value. But I also want to teach them that they are sinners, alienated from God and subject to his eternal justice and in certain danger of hell. I certainly want to teach them that the Lord Jesus is the wonderful saviour who perfectly shows us God's character and who died in the place of those who will put their trust in him.


Over the last 20 years I have increasingly come to think that such an approach to children, to truth and to the curriculum will not go down well in schools which have long ago forgotten that they have rejected the Christian gospel. I have the testosterone, but not the heart or faith to believe that it is worthwhile for me to go into the average UK school and fight for a little patch of ground from which to propogate these truths. I am getting on in years (fifty next year- if God spares my life) and I want to achieve something for him.

No comments: