Saturday 13 September 2008

In the thick of it

The next day after morning lessons (eight thirty to ten thirty) I received a phone call at "school" from a mother who had been impressed at our work almost two years earlier but had sent her son to the West Indies to get a private education there. Now he was back, she wanted him to come to us. After explaining our position I arranged for an interview early the next week.

Two of the families I am teaching are going through severe marital strains and I have spent about half an hour with each of the mums (offering to speak to dad) if that would help. I felt a little helpless as I shared something of God's purpose and pattern for marriage and how he has been kind to me in preserving my marriage and helping me in it. However, I did feel that the folk involved need to be right with God much more than with each other. Nevertheless, I said I would pray for them. In the past I have seen several of the homes I have been into, experience breakdown in this way. On one occasion a few years ago a Nigerian dad was shouting through the letterbox of the flat I was teaching in. On another occasion I spoke at length and prayed with a Hindu dad who had been deserted by his wife and children (I had arrived to teach the children). It is amazing and humbling to be involved in people's lives in this way.

No comments: